Sunday, December 5, 2010

Unfriend

Recently, I've been mindlessly scrolling through my Facebook homepage, reading maybe 20% of the "news" the social networking genies deem important. The other 80% of the information presented to me, I realized, was about people I really wasn't interested in. These were the people I used to work with, used to go to school with, or once had a class together and haven't talked since. Their new profile pictures, their status updates, their farmville activities... I couldn't care less about. It was just useless information taking up my time.

So, I unfriended them.

This wasn't done with malice, or negative feelings. Skimming over the list of over 500 people I was supposedly friends with, I mostly felt apathy. Sure, I sometimes wonder "Whatever happened to...?" but whether they're married or smoking crack wouldn't affect me either way. So I clicked the little X next to their names, confirmed the deletion, and put them behind me - over one hundred times. If I seem them at Shoprite next week, I'll smile and say hi. If they invite me out to catch up, even though we weren't even friends in high school, I'll probably take them up on it. Maybe we'll be friends down the road, but we are not friends now. When I'm wasting my time on Facebook, I want to be wasting my time learning about my friends' lives, not strangers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment