Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bear Mountain Backpacking

Alix had never been camping; I had never planned a trip all on my own. 

The first day was absolutely lovely and I found a sweet Leatherman multi-tool in the woods. The final ascent to camp was tough. I remembered it being tough, but we had the same "are-we-there-yet-I-may-die-out-of-spite" feeling. Getting to camp was a relief and we had a very relaxing evening, until I realized that I had unknowingly emptied almost 3 liters of water out of my Camelback and into my sleeping bag. And this was BEFORE it started raining. Luckily, Alix's ingenuity and our rain jackets provided me with a slightly less uncomfortable sleeping situation. We gorged ourselves on pita pocket pizzas and Reeses (Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. D!). As the sun set, we watched the clouds roll in, obscuring the view of the Hudson and the neighboring mountains.








Around 3 in the morning, it started to rain. Not a big deal. Rain is nice, and in 12 hours we would be back to indoor plumbing. We were definitely not at risk for trench foot. At 7, however, I heard thunder. Very aware of the fact that I was on top of a mountain surrounded by a cage of metal-ish poles, I rolled over, tapped Alix on the shoulder to wake her, and said, "Hey. We gotta go."

And go we did. We high tailed it out of there in pouring rain and the casual reminder of thunder. After the storm passed, and we meandered through the valley on our abridged hike out, we had a really nice time.



It probably sounds like a terrible trip. It absolutely wasn't. I was not unhappy at any point, and, more importantly, Alix says she'd do it again. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment