Saturday, October 29, 2011

9 Backpacking Lessons I learned the Hard Way


1. Follow the ranger's rules.
You never know when he or she might come by to enforce them. My friend recently got fined for a trip we ran together because we had too many people at a primitive campsite in the Catskills. Know the rules and stick to them.

2. If you're going to hang your bear bag in the dark, make sure you know where it is and how to get back.
It was a dark, moonless night and my friend Chris and I were wandering around in the dark on top of a mountain, not far from two serious cliffs. He and another friend had hung the line earlier and we were just going back to that same spot. We steadily got more and more turned around. Eventually, we found the right direction (with some help from our fellow campers looking for us). I recommend hanging a light or glow stick from the bear bag line. Also, bring a whistle, just in case.

3. Keep a death grip on your potholder.
After a long hard day on the trail with the cold evening setting in, the last thing you want to be doing is picking your dinner out of the dirt.

4. The right sleeping bag makes all the difference.
I've brought sleeping bags that were not rated to a low enough temperature and spent the night shivering myself away every hour.  Know what the temperature will be and plan accordingly. Also, if you get really cold, like me, plan for that. I brought a 30 degree bag when I should have brought a 0 degree.

5. Know what you don't need.
Take as much as you need for as long as you will be gone. You do not need an entire bottle of Nyquil for an overnight. Further, you don't need Banagrams AND cards AND a book AND knitting.

6. Don't lean on your hydration pack.
I once used my backpack as a backrest while reading in the tent. I emptied two liters of water into my sleeping bag.

7. If you're going to sleep outside, make sure you can see the stars.
I love sleeping under the stars. I slept outside on a cloudy night one time, and ended up diving into the tent in a downpour.

8. You don't need as much food as you think.
I am always guilty of bringing too much food. We often come home from weekend trips with enough food leftover for another day. Plan your meals carefully and be aware of how much food you actually eat on a regular basis.

9. Check your medkit before you go.
Luckily I have only been out of minor things - normal-sized Band-Aids, tape, Benadryl. But an understocked medkit can turn from an annoyance to a danger depending on the situation. Be aware of what you use and periodically restock your kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment