Friday, May 24, 2013

Review: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I have been on a bit of a Neil Gaiman kick since I saw the novelist/occasional Doctor Who writer at An Evening of Awesome back in January. American Gods is the third book of his I have read and it came highly recommended (because when I go to Halloween parties, I talk about books, apparently).

Neil Gaiman has a real talent for taking our world an augmenting it ever so slightly. In each of the three books of his I have read (Neverwhere, Coraline, and American Gods), he creates a world that exists parallel to our own. They are parallel worlds that are just beyond most of our reaches, but some people cross over.

(Potential spoilers ahead!)

In American Gods, that parallel existence is the realm of gods. In American Gods, Gaiman explores the idea that, maybe, gods do exist. But, he challenges the reader, we do not believe in them because they exist - they exist because we believe in them. When cultures are transported to new lands, those gods come with them. America, the great melting pot, is rife with gods, old and new. Many have been forgotten - and to be forgotten is to die. Many are on the verge of being forgotten.

Gaiman tells the story of Shadow, a recent widower and even more recent ex-con, who is introduced to the world of gods by a mysterious employer known as Wednesday. Through Shadow's experiences, we are introduced to the old and nearly forgotten gods, as well as the new gods of America - media, internet, fame. A storm is coming, a battle between gods old and new, and Shadow becomes a key player in the politics of war.

The beauty of this book is the complexity. Gaiman explores the power of belief and worship in an idea while crafting rich characters who evolve in surprising ways. The book is unpredictable and contains several subplots which are woven together with skill and grace. Gaiman expertly keeps the reader just out of reach of understanding the big picture. He also avoids predictable plot arcs and logical progressions. Every time the reader becomes comfortable with the story's progression, he abruptly alters its course.

The scope of the plot, however, detracted slightly from the connection I felt with the characters. The book is punctuated with vignettes which enhance the picture Gaiman is painting, but also pull the reader away from the central story numerous times. Shadow, a purposely dispassionate and borderline apathetic character, is not strong enough to securely anchor the story emotionally. I was hooked on the plot - the book kept me up late at night reading - but I was not invested in Shadow until over halfway through the story.

Despite its minor shortcomings, I recommend this book. It is a fine example of well-crafted story-telling and causes one to consider what the term "god" means in America today.

No comments:

Post a Comment