Thanksgiving is quite possibly my favorite holiday. Every year my dad's big Irish family gets together and celebrates together. This is a tradition that began long before I was born and I hope it continues long after I am gone, at least in some incarnation.
Recently Thanksgiving has become not only an opportunity to reconnect with family, but also a time to touch base with some of my oldest friends. College is a great way to not see the people you grew up with. Luckily Thanksgiving is a good excuse to come home. This year I'm especially looking forward to seeing the people who have known me since I was in my terrible teens because the past twelve months have been period of great transition. I've grown up a lot, and, as I am constantly reminded, a big part of growing up is letting go. I let go of some friends this year, usually because they let go of me. I've hurt feelings and had my feelings hurt. I reached a point where I didn't trust a single friend and I didn't want to make any new friends. But I learned and I forgave myself and others. This year has made me especially grateful for my friends who never gave up on me. The friends who have seen me at my best and loved me even at my worst. The friends who know we all have our bad days, bad weeks, bad months, even bad years. The friends who know that behind that bad attitude is someone worth fighting for.
This year I am grateful for friendship, forgiveness, and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment