I follow several blogs and stumble more than I would like to admit. When I'm "surfing the 'net," I end up just bombarding my brain with new ideas and information every minute. I click "next" faster than my brain can process what I've read. Interesting theories, surprising insights, great recipes... All floating around like dollar bills in one of those money booths at a bar mitzvah. I reach for another dollar and lose what I had already gained. Greed and hunger for a quick fix, something to stimulate and excite. I want more and I want it now, and I end up with nothing. I passively stumble through the cloud and am no better for it.
I don't like that.
This past weekend, instead of wandering around in social media while eating lunch, I read a book for class. Instead of lounging on the couch, working my way through Buffy reruns, I went to the library. I got more work done on Sunday than I did the five days before combined.
I don't want life to just fall on my head in a deluge and roll off me like rain drops on goretex. I want to stomp in the muddy puddles and jump in the lake.
In my quest to lead a simple, intentional, engaged life, I am learning to want less and experience more. I want less noise and distractions, and more learning, thinking, and doing. This blog is part of that. Instead of just taking things away from the Internet, I am adding my own voice. I've learned a lot from bloggers like Tammy, Courtney, Robyn, Russ, and Laura. They're some of my inspirations, and I'd like to spread the ideas and attitudes I've learned from them.
These things take time. I am far from perfect (but perfect is boring, so who cares?). However, as I learn and grow, I am beginning to suss out what I want from life and how to get it. I am making small changes. As much as I love ogling David Boreanaz, watching five hours of Bones a day isn't going to make me happier, healthier, or smarter. I'm not saying I'm about to throw my DVR into the Raritan, but I am limiting how much time I spend in front of the boob tube. One episode a day, not bad. Two episodes a week? Even better. Everything in moderation. Tv is a treat, not a staple. The same goes for the Internet. A little here and there, but I'm really better off reading a book, doing homework, or seeing a friend.
I want to experience life, not read about it on the Internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment