A focal point of the farm is the cows. They’re highly visible most of the time, grazing in one of the many pastures here. They demand attention as they amble in and out of the dairy barn for milking. They call out as they walk, more of a bellow than a moo.
They’re a focal point for the week for me. Once a week I am the counselor on early morning duty. I wake up two campers at 4:00 AM and we walk from our cabins and tents in the woods to the center of the farm.
The first week or two of camp, in June, the sun is already peeking out from behind the mountains, illuminating our walk. By July, our morning is mostly dark. This is one of those times when I feel most connected to the cycle of the earth, the constant changing of seasons.
We meet a farmer or apprentice at the barn and walk out to the pasture with them.
I remember visiting my relatives’ dairy farm years ago. One morning I got up early with them to help with the cows. I recall not understanding why the cows were outside all night - didn’t they live in the barn? Who leaves their animals outside all the time?
When we reach the pasture, several of the cows being to walk towards us. They know what it means when we arrive. The farmer opens the gate and the campers and I begin to walk the perimeter of the enclosed area.
“C’mon cows!”
“Let’s go cows!”
As we walk the cows begin to stand up and amble toward the exit, toward the barn. Some need a little tap from us to get moving, others are eager to leave. Some are too eager, overstepping the subtle hierarchy of the herd. A more senior cow is always there to shove them aside with the side of their horns. We must make sure we are not in their way when they do.
We follow the cows down the lane and begin the day.


No comments:
Post a Comment