Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Yoga, Wine, and Chocolate

I have a truly amazing boyfriend. He cooks, he supports, he'd punch somebody in the face if I asked him to (but only if I asked him to because he knows I can take care of myself), and he knows me better than anyone else.

Case in point: A month and a half ago, he informed me that we would be going on a surprise date in early February. The week of, he gave me three potential outfits I should wear. The morning of the big surprise he told me to wear my yoga clothes. Ah, I thought, a yoga date.

Unfortunately, at this point in the story it had been snowing for about eight hours straight and wasn't showing any signs of stopping. When Jesse learned we would have to reschedule, he let me in on the secret.

Yoga. At a winery. With a chocolate tasting. (Jesse said that if he were custom-designing a date for me, this would be it. Maybe with some cheese, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.)

And we had to wait another month for the next opportunity!

When the big day finally rolled around, it was heavenly. Old York Cellars in Ringoes, New Jersey was hosting the even in its special events space. The room was small but spacious, just the right size for an intimate yoga session. A gas fire place set a cozy mood. Tosia, a well-established local yoga instructor led the beginner level class. She moved throughout the room as we rotated on our mats, ensuring that everyone could see and hear her. We worked up to headstand practice where I, for the first time, successfully held a tripod headstand for more than a moment! I have been working towards this for three months. In my excitement I called for Jesse's attention. I got it - right as I fell with a smack on my back. I quickly explained that I wasn't looking for him to catch me - I wanted to show him my headstand!

After savasana, that delicious moment of peace at the end of every practice, we threw our layers back on and walked across the gravel drive to the tasting room. The representative from OYC indulged us with a wide variety of samples. Each wine was complimented with a piece of chocolate. Yum!

If you are visiting Old York Cellars I recommend the following wines:

  • 2011 Pinot Gris - you definitely taste the apricot notes
  • 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon - I enjoyed the berry-like taste and the hint of spice
  • Ravat 51 - it's like a wine pina colada in the best way
  • Blackberry - not too sweet, with a pronounced tartness that was very well complimented by the chocolate
  • 2010 Southpaw Red Port - I am by no means a wine expert; for example, this wine tasted like bacon to me
If you are making the trip anyway, definitely sign up for the yoga series. It's a little bit of heaven.


PS - I fully intended on taking pictures, but then I was too busy having an awesome time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment