Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Healthy Homemade Popcorn


I have a confession.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to food. 

By the time I get home from a full day of teaching, I just want to curl up on the couch until Jesse comes home from work and feeds me.

I can't do that every day though. Sometimes he works until ten or later. I'd die!

So when I say this popcorn method is fast and easy, understand where I'm coming from.

It's not only simple to make, it's also better tasting and better for you than bagged popcorn (Fake butter? Ew).

It's really an all around win.



Healthy Homemade Popcorn
  1. Melt 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease (or olive oil if you're not into that) in a THICK bottomed pan over medium heat. The thick pan will prevent burning.
  2. Add 1/4 cup popcorn kernels. Give the pan a swirl to disperse everything evenly.
  3. Cover pan for about 3 minutes. 
  4. When you hear it start to pop, give it a little shake every 45 seconds or so. This will keep the popped corn from burning and help move the kernels around.
  5. Once the popping slows down (you'll know) turn off the heat immediately. Let stand for another minute with the lid on to prevent rogue pops from throwing popcorn all over the stove. Not that that's ever happened or anything.
  6. Transfer into a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Done!




You can also try some fun flavor variations!
  • Pop the corn in olive oil with a sprig of rosemary.
  • Add chocolate chips for a salty-sweet treat.
  • Serve with a dash of BBQ rub for a hot and smoky snack.
  • Bacon: it makes everything better.

Do you have any favorite add-ins for your popcorn?

1 comment: