Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cherish

I lay on the ground,
Awake.
Groans and coos of grateful sleep
Sneak to my ears.
Sleep is still far from me.
I don't invite it.

I lay on the ground
And stare.

There are no stars tonight.
In the waning light
I saw the waxing moon.
Just a glimpse,
As if to say,
"Even I have a long day tomorrow."

Thin wooden fingers reach
Into the milky navy sky.
Like lace
They twist and bind and part.
The mountain sighs.
Trees, still bare, can only creak.

The ground whispers.

I stare and listen.

The air is warm and gentle.
Fluid.
The air is kind.
Caressing.
It is a sad kiss goodbye,
Lingering on my cheek.

I lay on the ground
And stare
And listen
And feel
A moment.

In between.

I am awake when the rain wakes gem.
I seek shelter from the lilting hum
And sleep.

Tomorrow will be colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment