So when I learned that there was a similar market coming up here in New Jersey, I was eager to explore it.The Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market was held in an old industrial building in Trenton. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to get there. It was just a few easy turns off of Route 1. The website also did a vey good job of instructing where to park. The public lot was free and had lots of spaces.
I was unpleasantly surprised to see a line when I came around the corner into the courtyard of the building complex. I had not known there was a cover charge for the market. Since I had already made the trek down, I paid my $4 to support the arts and community.
The space was huge and let in a remarkable amount of natural light. In most areas there were three rows with vendors on either side. A variety of products and media were represented. I saw soaps and lotions, reclaimed art and jewelry, accessories and decor made from bones and taxidermied animals, and many vendors with connections to animals. There was an adoption group there with puppies as well. I bought two sets of earrings and a leather necklace in the shape of the silhouette of a cicada.
Had I attended with friends, I would have sampled some of the food and drink available outside. Many of the lines were very long and I chose to drive home a little early rather than hang out. I considered getting a coffee, but the vendor selling the coffee was brewing it with a Chemex and the line was prohibitively long.
I picked up a flyer for the Asbury Park Punk Rock Flea Market and hope to attend later this month.
Were you at the Trenton market? Have you attended a similar market? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment