I have a minor obsession with abandoned places. Places like this always make me wonder, "Who lived here?" "Why did they choose to walk away from their homes?"
Growing up in one of the most developed places in the country, it is strange for me to imagine places where people once lived and owned property that are now abandoned.
I've come across some ghost towns while hiking in local parks and reservations. Just north of my parents' home is Harriman State Park which butts up against Bear Mountain State Park. As a facilitator with Go Outdoors at Rutgers, I led several trips to this area. On one of the first trips I planned, I made sure we visited Doodletown. There's not much there beyond a few cemeteries and house foundations now. Not far from the parking lot just off the 1777 East Trail on the way to Doodletown, we found what appears to be an abandoned power station, though. It was like something out of a Resident Evil video game. I haven't been back in several years so I'm not sure if it's still there.
| Photo by Jesse Stratowski |
| Photo by Jesse Stratowski |
| Photo by Jesse Stratowski |
Spot has potential as a shelter.
ReplyDeleteIn a pinch, definitely. It was super creepy inside. There was a basement area that was so dark, we couldn't see all of it. I'm not sure I would want to be there at night.
Delete