Thursday, February 5, 2015

My List of Happiness


As part of my month of loving myself, I'm making it a habit to do things that make me happy.

Some people may feel that they spend all their energy on others, leaving little time for their own happiness. Others might be operating on autopilot, doing the same thing over and over again without ever feeling satisfied. In both situations, "good enough" is as good as it gets. We get by. We're fine.

I'm not accepting "fine" for myself this month. February is all about love and gifts, as the greeting cards chocolate companies remind us.

But instead of mindlessly indulging in cheap chocolate while grading, I'm mindfully doing things that make me happy.

So what does this mean?


For me this means identifying the things I can do that I know will leave me with a lasting sense of happiness, as opposed to quick-fix instant gratification. It's buying new underwear and burning candles (in both the literal and metaphorical sense). It's taking action and paying attention.


These things are:

  1. Reading
  2. Journaling/writing
  3. Taking photos
  4. Creating/crafting
  5. Walking outside
  6. Baking
  7. Listening to podcasts
  8. Soaking my feet
  9. Drinking good coffee/wine
  10. Laughing with Jesse

The trick is to do these things mindfully, with my full attention. That means putting down my phone, shutting off the computer, and devoting my attention to the task at hand. It also means thinking about my actions and being grateful for them. 


My hope is that if I do at least one of these things a day, I can develop a positive habit that will have a lasting effect.


What's on your list of happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment