Monday, February 16, 2015

Reading Deadlines


A few weeks ago I came across a fantastic list of books for women on Ev'Yan's blog. I almost immediately shared the list with a few of my close friends, including Ann. On her suggestion, I organized a small book club.

We are set to meet early in March to discuss Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés. I've never been part of a book club before, let alone run one. What do I do?

Right now I'm struggling with focusing on this book. It's denser than I had anticipated, and very long, too. I find it interesting, but it doesn't effortlessly hold my attention. Reading it requires active concentration. I find it too easy to put the book down and pick up my phone or a fiction book. But I have a deadline to read this by, and I don't want to miss it.

Do you have any advice for how to read a book like this?

2 comments:

  1. I just ordered my copy of Women Who Run with the Wolves so I'll be playing catch-up. Is it written in episodic form? Maybe we can whittle down the stories to a few that we want to read in that case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was starting to think about selecting a few chapters to focus on. She takes apart old stories and myths and shows how they pertain to this idea of the "wild woman" within us. One of the stories is the ugly duckling!

      Delete