Sunday, January 4, 2015

Challenge #1: Don't Buy Things


I was never the kind of teenager who regularly went to the mall or bought fashionable clothes with my meager earnings. It therefore came as a surprise when I realize late in 2014 that I was buying things to make myself feel better. Between being far from home over the summer, planning a wedding, and getting back into the groove of the school year, I was feeling very stressed and anxious for most of the last few months.

It started off innocuously. A few small purchases here and there - for the wedding of course. Then it was some new nail polish to make myself feel pretty. Next I was buying fancy leggings. Then I started to feel guilty and went overboard with Christmas presents.

I was buying things for the joy of the novelty. It was new! It made me feel pretty! But I was quickly developing a bad habit. If I bought myself a little treat every time I felt crummy, I'd simply run out of money.


So for January I am putting myself on a spending diet.

I will not buy things this month. No clothes. No makeup. No books.

Instead I will focus on what I have and what experiences I can share with my loved ones. I'll get coffee with a friend. I'll go skiing with Jesse. I'll walk to my yoga studio.

I'll live within my means and be grateful for having enough.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good idea, but what does the picture of the bug have to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look of awe on the girls face. Plus, this was at the Smithsonian, so it was free awe

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete