Saturday, January 31, 2015

Challenge #1: Wrap Up and Reflection


Well, it looks like I did it. One month without shopping.

Above all else, this first challenge helped me unlearn a bad habit. As I've said in my earlier posts, I hadn't started buying myself little pick-me-ups. It was largely mindless and pretty unnecessary. By choosing to not purchase anything this month I was forced to be more conscious of my impulses and actions.

I would come across a beautiful color on Pinterest and think "I would look so good with that color on my nails." But the impulse would stop there. I did not go out and buy that nail polish.

The hardest part of this experience was when I was in our local pharmacy picking up a prescription. I killed time by smelling the selection of Yankee Candles they had. They had scents I love, from evergreen to pumpkin spice, and all fall and christmas candles were on sale for half off. How could I pass that up? Instead of filling my basket with these little treats, I somewhat sullenly returned the candles to the shelf and walked away.



This challenge imposed structure and limits on my spending habits. I liked that. I knew it wasn't forever, so I didn't feel deprived. Instead, it was a practice in delayed gratification. I am considering putting this limit on myself every other month.

Going forward, there are a few purchases I plan to make early in February. I've been thinking about them for several weeks, so I know that they are something I need or want instead of an impulse purchase.



So that was my first monthly challenge. My next challenge will be a little less... challenging. More on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment