Did you know that I was once in a rugby commercial?
For about a year in college I played on the women's rugby team. That winter, we got an email through the team listserv that a commercial was being shot in Manhattan that upcoming weekend and they needed extras.
At this time I was actively pursuing randomness and opportunities. I had a recently seen the movie Yes Man and the concept had stuck with me. I stopped over-scheduling myself and starting saying yes, even if I was uncomfortable or hesitant. When this opportunity presented itself, I said, "Yes!"
So I ended up driving into the city before sunrise with a few of my teammates in what must have been late February/early March. If you look closely in the video, you can see snow piled up on the edge of the pitch.
When we first got there, we were huddled in a locker room of one of the universities' athletic fields, poring through boxes of Canterbury New Zealand's new women's gear. After some searching and bartering, I found a pair of scrum shorts, socks, and cleats that fit.
Then we waited.
Most of the commercial features members of the US women's team, including Phaidra Knight (perhaps best known for her work on the MTV show Made). Therefore, most of the day was spent filming those talented women. When they needed extras, they called us out.
We ran through a couple of plays, not unlike we might do at a practice. I was a jumper at the time, as was my mentor Heather. In the commercial, look for the lady being lifted up. If she has long sleeves, it's me!
You can see me in a few of the actions shots, running around like a baby giraffe with a ponytail.
This was one the coolest experiences of my life (up there with attending the taping for the Glee Movie and meeting one of the creators of Google Maps). It was great to meet some of the top female rugby players in the country and to be part of a commercial.
All because I said "Yes."

Thats awesome! My sister-in-law is famous!
ReplyDelete