Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Spicy Butternut Squash Soup

This week I developed an intense craving for spicy butternut squash soup. I don't even remember when I've had butternut soup before. I just knew I wanted it.

I found a fairly simple recipe after just a few minutes of searching and adapted it to better suit my needs and taste.

Not surprisingly, I almost ruined the whole thing when my onions started burning. I'm very competent and comfortable in the kitchen, don'tcha know.

Jesse helped me salvage the dish before I did irreparable damage
and I like how it turned out! It's perfect for a snowy day like today.


Here's how I made it:

  1. Cube 1 butternut squash. Spread cubes out on a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 350 until cooked (about 40 minutes for me). Remove from oven and set aside.
  2. Roughly chop one onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic. Salt to taste. Sauté in butter in a deep pan or pot until translucent. Don't burn it!
  3. Add 1 quart of chicken or vegetable stock, squash, and a pinch of salt. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively, break out your immersion blender and do the same thing with less mess.
  5. Time to tweak according to your preferences! Taste it. I added about a cup of milk and 1/4 cup of honey. These are optional and will vary according to what you like. You may also choose to add more liquid to thin the soup.
  6. Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment